Submitted by Patti Lee Bock
A sweet and spicy sauce with some sharpness and heat from the horseradish and mustard powder. The sauce makes an excellent condiment to serve over a block of cream cheese or along with a ham or pork roast meal. Jezebel sauce also makes a tasty burger topping as well. Make it a day in advance for the best flavor. See the serving suggestions and variations below the recipe for more ideas.
1 (16-ounce) jar pineapple preserves
1 (16-ounce) jar apple jelly
1/2 cup horseradish (prepared, from a jar)
3 tablespoons dry mustard powder
2 teaspoons black pepper (coarsely ground)
In a bowl, combine the pineapple preserves, apple jelly, horseradish, mustard, and black pepper. Blend well. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled before serving.
Make it a day or two ahead of time for the best flavor.
Store Jezebel sauce in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Serving Suggestions and Variations
- Over cream cheese and serve with crackers.
- As a dip for chicken wings or tenders.
- With cocktail hot dogs or little smokies.
- Serve the sauce along with roasted pork, ham, or grilled meat.
- Other possible flavor variations include canned and drained minced mild chiles or jalapeño peppers.
- If pineapple preserves aren’t available, use apricot or peach preserves.