Minnesota Department of Health

According to data from the Minnesota Department of Health, the number of people who become seriously ill from carbon monoxide poisoning goes up as temperatures begin to go down. Emergency room visits and hospitalizations from CO poisoning are highest between November and February. To protect you and your family, MDH advises to make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms, have your furnace or wood-burning stove inspected annually, never run a gasoline or propane heater or a grill inside your home or in garage, generators should be run at a safe distance (at least 20 feet) from the home, and you should never run a car in an enclosed space. Symptoms of overexposure to carbon monoxide include headache, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath, nausea, and confusion. If you suspect you may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, or your detector sounds an alarm, head outside immediately for fresh air and call 911.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here